Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Time Zooms!

Time isn't flying by--it has been zooming by!  Sorry it has been so long since I have posted--it isn't because I'm not quilting.  Actually, I'm not sure why--I suppose because I have been so busy quilting.  I shared a picture of the whole cloth quilt I'm working on.  Still working on it, but I've finished the inner medallion and am quilting the swags around it along with the grid as far as my frame reaches as I go around.  Is that clear as mud?  I am working in circles because the lovely Quilter's Dream wool batting I'm using has a good bit of loft--beautifully fluffy--and I don't want to let it get bunchy in any one place by working too far out.

More mud?


Here's the other project keeping me busy~


These are the fabrics for my guild's 2012  Challenge.

Here are two of the blocks.  I'm making a very simple Baltimore Album quilt, using Mimi Dietrich's book Baltimore Basics.  That book is out of print, but she has just come out with a new book for anyone who wants to try making a BAQ.  It's called Baltimore Blocks for Beginners.  I haven't seen it yet, but I'm betting it's just as great as her others.

Here's the one I've been working on today--it's finished and clean, just waiting to be ironed and put on my design wall with the others.



Now I'm getting really ambitious---just ordered Barbara Burnham's book Baltimore Garden Quilt.  I may be getting in over my head, but I'm looking forward to trying!

Blessings!














9 comments:

  1. I would have never guessed these blocks were from that particular book. Your fabrics have made these blocks sparkle. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, BillieBee--I started out using just little bits of the challenge fabrics in traditionally colored blocks (so I have two extras now!). Then I wanted to see what a block would like with just the challenge fabrics. I'm glad you like it too!

      Delete
  2. Love the blocks in those fabrics! It's gonna be a winner in my book.
    Now I'm trying to remind myself of all the projects on my to-do list and all the reasons why I should not go look for that basic BA quilt book. (sigh) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like the blocks--I started out doing them in traditional colors, but then the fabrics sort of took over. It's fun to work on, but I keep reminding myself I'm still learning. Otherwise I would be making the same block over and over again to get it "perfect." (I'm not the person to ask about to-do lists and new projects.)

      Delete
  3. Joana, Looks like your well on your way when it comes to applique. Love, love, love your pineapple block and the fabrics are so cheery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Carla! I started working on a block using the back applique technique--don't know how it's going to turn out, but I really like Mimi Dietrich's approach. It will be nice to have a "toolbox" of techniques I can turn to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree it is good to learn different methods, you may never know when you need to use one. Rewatching Elly S dvd yesterday I was reminded that she uses label paper on top to use a technique called cut away. I may try it, cause freezer paper just doesn't stick enough for me. Seems there is always something new to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love you applique blocks ...beautiful. and I am so impressed with your whole cloth...I have been wanting to try one and keep putting it off...I must get to it soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tim--working on a whole cloth is like eating dessert first, with no calories to worry about: I can jump right in to my favorite part of the quilting process and there aren't any seams. My next goal is designing my own.

      Delete