Monday, July 9, 2012

What I'm Working On Now--Summer 2012

Welsh Beauty Whole Cloth by Benartex
Budsgram over at A Few of My Favorite Things me to share what I'm working on now that I am finally (and joyfully) through with the Tetris quilt.  Check out the beautiful Klojes she is hand piecing, along with her other  WIPs.  Here's what is going on in my neck of the woods.  In my hoop, I'm hand quilting a queen size whole cloth quilt.  The top is made by Benartex, and I'm using a Quilter's Dream wool batting in it, quilting with Gutermann hand quilting thread.  This quilt is a "someday" quilt for whenever my daughter gets married.  It's a joy to work on---the needle glides through the batting, and there are no seam allowances.  I can easily see why some hand quilters move to making just whole cloth quilts!



This is the first block for a Seven Sisters quilt.  I enjoyed English Paper Piecing so much when I pieced and quilted My Daddy's Garden that I wanted another EPP project to work on---perfect for traveling, waiting in doctors' offices, or when it's just too hot to have a big quilt snuggled up against me.  I'm using a variety of 1930's reproduction fabrics and 1 3/8 inch diamonds.



I feel like I owe an apology to this one---I think I started cutting out this Double Wedding Ring in January 2010, so it's about time I got busy on it again.  This one goes in the frame to be basted as soon as I can set it up in king size (not a task for the faint-hearted).  I'll miss Benjamin's help on that, but will take him up on his suggestion that I put the frame in his room---there's hardly anything else in there now!



Finally, here's what is in the planning stage.  Our guild challenge deadline is in January, and I know it will be here before I know it.  I'm thinking about a four-block Baltimore Album quilt using Mimi Dietrich's Baltimore Basics book---only problem is that I love all the blocks in the book.  I guess this is where that thing called "discipline" comes in?  I think I used all mine up with the Tetris quilt....

Blessings!

Joana

18 comments:

  1. Just close your eyes and point.... you'll have the blocks chosen before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful assortment of projects Joana. I love your seven sisters block, maybe someday when I need another hand piecing project I'll get enough courage. Your whole cloth looks soft and cuddly, the wool was a good choice but you already knew that. Have you decided on the quilt design your going to use on your DWR?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carla! I really love each of them so much it's hard to decide what to work on--that's why I set a goal (nicer word than "deadline") for the whole cloth. As far as the DWR goes, I keep auditioning designs, but haven't settled on one.

      Delete
  3. Great post; love the projects, especially that 7 Sisters. The printing on the wholecloth is much darker than what was on mine. Mine was just a fine, faded (apparently) line. It couldn't be seen after it was quilted. Looks like fun times! DD has given up on me with the DWR, but I'm really going to try to get it done by Christmas. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOT giving up on you and the DWR---not giving up on me either, for that matter....We'll both feel better about when we get started quilting. The 7 Sisters is a beautiful block, but there's a lot of piecing! The stars go quickly, but basting all the filler pieces and putting the whole thing together takes a while.

      Delete
  4. Lovely bock also the quilting is beautiful
    Hugs Janice

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joana...what do you use to mark your quilts that you hand quilt? I had used a yellow chalk and cannot get it out of the quilt now that it is finished. I am looking for something easy to use that comes right out.

    You do such beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jennie--that's an awful feeling when you realize the markings just aren't going to come out. That happened to me on a quilt, even though I had used the marking tool before. Right now, I'm using two different ones--Fons & Porter markets a mechanical pencil-type marker that is the best I've used. I've used the white so far, and the marks are clear and last, but come off easily with the eraser or damp cloth. (Sewline makes these, as well as other colors of marker.) The other I use is the Clover washout blue marker. Whatever you use, it's really important to test the marker on every fabric you are using to make sure it will come out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog while looking on Quilt With us. I love your quilts. I also like to do English paper piecing, but really I haven't touched it since winter. I will get back at it one day as I find it quite relaxing and such a wonderful project for traveling. I scrolled down and noticed your totes. How lovely. I just started a blog - if you are interested take a look: http://darlenesdabbles.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Darlene--I'm so glad you found your way here to my blog. I will check your's out--hope you enjoy it as much as I am

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fun to see all the projects you are working on! Love the whole cloth quilt! I haven't done one of these but I can definitely see the appeal. Enjoyed hearing about the wool batting...haven't tried that yet either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Kathy! The whole cloth is so much fun to quilt--no seams to cross for one thing! I hope you will try a wool batting. I've used both Hobbs and Quilter's Dream with great results--Hobbs is yellow, so it isn't as well-suited for a light or white quilt. The QD is white and the loft seems more even. The thing that surprised me most is how light weight the batting is. Let me know what you think if you decide to try one!

      Delete
  10. Love the Seven Sisters block - I'm working on Candied Hexagons and it has a similar diamond piece but is put together slightly differently. I'm enjoying the piecing so maybe this one needs to go onto my list of TO DOs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My only regret about my Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt is that I didn't make it bigger--it was such a pleasure to work on. I'm not familiar with Candied Hexagons, so I'll have to visit your blog to see it. :)

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete