Saturday, July 7, 2012

Done


I feel like doing a victory dance today---I finished the Tetris quilt just in time for my last guild meeting, but I've been waiting to post a picture of the finished quilt until after I gave it to Katie's boyfriend, Ryan.  Well, he came down yesterday to get her after her week home, and he finally got his quilt.  his reaction was all I could have hoped for---he really liked the quilt a lot.  In fact, he raved over it.  That's a good feeling when giving any quilt, but if you followed along with me, you know that this quilt turned out to be quite a challenge.   I learned so much from making this quilt---quilt making skills, but other things too.  I persisted in spite of pretty significant setbacks, and that's a really good feeling.  I came closer to getting the result I wanted in the finished quilt than I ever have before.  It was worth all the trouble, and  I'm glad I started over  and kept going instead of giving up.

8 comments:

  1. I know I've said this before, but I love the depth and dimension in this quilt! It just draws me back to it over and over. It just sparkles. Great job picking fabric shades to give it that extra wow factor. So glad he liked it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,Jan--I do love this quilt...more now that it's finished. ;) The more I work with solids, the more I like them.

      Delete
  2. Hi Joana, I LOVE this quilt. I work for The Tetris Company. Can I share this on our official Tetris Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Tetris? I think you'll be amazed at all the reaction you'll get.

    We'll give proper credit to you. Hope to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I would be so excited to share it. The original idea for how to make the quilt came from Quiltergeek. Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Hi Joana,
    I can't find a way to contact you - can you email me at asewingjournal@gmail.com? I would like to ask permission to use one of your photos.
    Thank you :)
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a (first) grandchild on the way and something like this would make gamer parents proud. HELP! I have never quilted before! You have 3 different colors of each square, correct?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Riley--I'm so glad you like the Tetris quilt, and I agree that gamer parents would really like this quilt. Congratulations on being a new grandma! This quilt is pretty challenging for a beginner, but let me give you a couple of tips that might help. You can find tutorials for each skill that will help. I'm going to put these tips in a new post so you can refer back to them more easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's 10x14 blocks, so 140 blocks at what, about 4' x 5-1/2' ? So the blocks are about 4" square? A square made with two tones of one color and another made of the alternate set, cut diagonally, halves swapped and sewn together? Am I close?

      Delete