Saturday, May 12, 2012

Lots of Sewing--No Quilts....?

I haven't disappeared----I've just had a really crazy week.  Make that two weeks!  The Do-over quilt is pieced and ready to go in the frame, but I finally got inspired about Mother's Day presents for my mother and my mother-in-law.  I've been making purses the last few days, and I'm about pursed out! Along with that, Benjamin had the hooding ceremony for his Master of Arts in Teaching degree, Katie's boyfriend graduated from college, and Katie came home unexpectedly for a few days.  If Katie comes home, Ryan is pretty sure to follow, so he was here overnight middle of the week.  I seem to do a lot more cooking when the kids are around---a lot more laundry too! 

Right now, I have Katie's high school graduation quilt soaking in the washing machine---I'm following instructions from Vickie Welsh to try to remove red dye that leached from the music notes onto the cream background.  I had tried everything else I knew to do.  You can check out her research at her website, http://vickiwelsh.typepad.com/field_trips_in_fiber/2011/08/color-fastness-of-hand-dyed-fabrics.html.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed and said more than one prayer as I poured boiling water into the washing machine this morning to boost my hot water heater's output.  I'll let you know how it turns out for me--don't know if this method will work since the quilt had been washed, but it's worth a shot, right?

4 comments:

  1. Your purses turned out really cute! I have my fingers crossed that the dye removal process works for you. I am still working on my cotton boll block, but the end is in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Carla! I'll be watching for a picture of it. I hope this works too--it was a little scary running all that hot water on the quilt, but then my grandmother boiled her laundry, including quilts. The purses are fun, but I think I'm over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me know that Vicki's method worked. I will try that on the Obama quilt. Also, I tried to email you from your blog, but your email addy isn't found anywhere.

    ReplyDelete