Sunday, April 8, 2012

Quilt Faster! Faster!

I am trying to turn myself into a speed quilter right now---I am quilting on a deadline, and this is no time for dilly-dallying around, stopping often to admire my stitching, look for a magazine with a picture of a quilt I thought of, or take a break to cut up and sort a few scraps.  I have a graduation quilt to finish, and graduation is less than a month away!  Last night, I was doing elaborate math problems figuring out how soon I could finish if I did X number of blocks each day---I had to stop because my math skills tend to involve fingers and toes, and I needed both hands to keep quilting.  Here's the quilt last Monday--


Here's the quilt Wednesday--I use my Grace Z44 to baste my quilts.  I do the actual quilting in my lap using a Q-Snap frame, a square made from PVC pipe.  I like being able to turn my work this way and that as I quilt.  I keep saying that one day I'm going to try quilting in the frame, but then again, if it ain't broke. . . . .


Today is Easter Sunday, and I am plugging away at it--37 blocks in three days, and still a few more hours until bed time!


One of my guild friends shared a treasure with me this week--one that had been given to her at some point in the past by another quilter, and I'm fascinated by it.  Take a look:


These patterns, and others in the box, all seem to have come from Progressive Farmer magazine, which is still being published (and also has a very up-to-date website).  They don't seem to have any quilt patterns included any more, which makes me long just a bit for those "good old days"--until I think of all the riches a quilter can find on the internet. 

 Here's one more of the designs in the box:

Isn't this design adorable?

I remember when newspapers would have sewing and quilting patterns advertised in the classified section of the paper.  Sometimes they offered the iron on transfers by Aunt Martha, I think.  In fact, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution had a column on sewing in the Sunday paper for a good many years after I got married.  When I see my mother tomorrow, I'm going to ask her whether she has any patterns or newspaper clippings tucked away somewhere--maybe there's another treasure like this one, just waiting around the corner, ready to jump on my quilting "to do" list!


I hope you were blessed today by remembering that He is Risen!  Hallelujah!  What a Savior!

Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. Amen!

    Regarding the quilt - you can do it! It will be so much fun seeing the finished quilt.
    (I've been gone a few days, so this is the first time I've had a chance to post.)

    ReplyDelete