Thursday, April 19, 2012

Not So Warm Fuzzies

Today has not been a fun quilting day.  It should have been---I finished quilting the 140 blocks of the Tetris quilt last night and got started on the border, but I realized I had a problem when I was quilting the last few rows.  This quilt has three rows of black blocks at the top and then black outer borders.  I had been dealing with a lot of lint and fuzzies on the quilt, but I assumed that they were just from the exposed batting at the edges.  But as I quilted the black blocks, I found I had a white quilting line--the batting was coming out as I drew the thread through.  I had been using a lint roller, but it wasn't working.  This is what it looked like:


Quilters are a great bunch--I asked for advice from some really busy quilters, a couple who are nationally known ones and some not so well-known.  Bottom line--once this happens, it's going to keep happening.  Washing the quilt won't help, and a lint roller will just continue to pull out more batting.  So out comes by trusty seam ripper......looks like it's going to get a lot of use in the next few days. 


4 comments:

  1. Joana, I'm feel so bad that this happened, especially to a quilt you were planning on gifting. Just so you know I am spending the evening taking out the three rows of machine quilting I did on the baby quilt. It just is horrible, I guess I will big stitch it! Too bad we live in different states we could have had a big stitch picking party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would have made un-sewing a lot more fun! Right now, I'm trying to decide whether to wash and dry the top and back before I re-sandwich and baste the quilt or whether to just wipe the fuzz off with dryer sheets. Sorry about your machine quilting--I think I may join you in the big stitching though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Un-sewing is so un-fun, but you know you will be much happier with it "fixed". Just sorry it happened in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be happier, and I can feel good about giving the quilt away by doing this. One of the best things about quilting is that do-overs are almost always a possibility.

    ReplyDelete