Saturday, April 28, 2012

Doing Over the Do-Over Quilt

I really didn't mean to wait a week to post again--it really wasn't because I was grieving over the quilt.  As a matter of fact, I took the opportunity to point out to my family just how mature and stoical I was being......I also pointed out that eye-rolling was not only rude, but also dangerous to one's health.  Instead of grieving, I got busy deciding the best way to re-do the quilt.  I didn't have enough fabric from the first one to do the quilt, so I played with what I had and looked at options.  As it turned out, I wound up with fabric combinations that I think are better than the first quilt.  See what you think:



If you have been following along with this quilt, you know that the design for the quilt came from QuilterGeek--it isn't a pattern (yet), but the idea, a diagram, and a few instructions.  I changed the size of the blocks and made a few changes in the colors.  Then I cut out the whole quilt, salvaged the backing from the first one, made the binding, wound a bunch of bobbins, and was ready to go.  The UPS guy brought the new fabric Tuesday evening, and by Wednesday evening I was sewing.  I finished sewing the last of the blocks late Saturday afternoon.  What a good thing that the shortcut for quarter square triangles makes them quick and easy---and almost fool proof!    The blocks are up on my design wall, and I'll start assembling them tomorrow.  Graduation, however, is Friday, May 4, so I'm not going to make my deadline....but a good quilt is worth waiting for.  :)







And just look at all the lovely scraps (and lots of leftovers
                in my fabric closet)
                                                 .....the possibilities are endless!

4 comments:

  1. Lookin' good! I think you nailed the color combos. The blocks have a lot of depth and dimension. Glad it is going well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan--it was the chocolate that made all the difference! :)

      Delete
  2. Hey Iron Lady, way to go! You should be proud.............way to go, no grieving just moving ahead!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carla--I'm hoping that the extra effort with piecing and cutting will mean that the blocks come together just right, no floaters, no cut-off points. It's becoming an obsession!

      Delete