Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Tempted Quilter

This weekend, I fell headlong into temptation. 

That got your attention, didn't it?  One thing I've learned is that the road to JoAnn's is paved with good intentions---along with the road to Fabric.com, A Scarlet Thread, Connecting Threads, Marti's Fabric Studio . . . well, you get the picture.  I had this really great resolution---I would finish quilting the Double Irish Chain and at least get the queen size whole cloth quilt well under way, and then I would baste and start quilting the (queen size) Double Wedding Ring before I bought any more fabric or started another quilt. 

I am safer around chocolate and cheesecake--or even chocolate cheesecake--than I am around fabric.

So this is my true confession--I had been looking at fabric for several days, trying to decide on the best way to approach making a Tetris quilt when it came time to start it.  Then I would look at batting (for the DWR) that I'm not going to start quilting for a while.  Then I would pull out That Perfect Stitch and read the reviews of battings, then get my little packet of Quilter's Dream samples.....then I would look at fabric some more. 

To make a long story....well, still kind of long.....in order to avoid buying fabric, I ordered a Quilter's Dream wool batting for my DWR (that I'm not going to start yet).  Thus, I could save myself from giving into temptation and buying fabric.....after all, my quilting budget for the month was pretty well blown, and I had satisfied the urge. 

Until I walked into JoAnn's.....it was just a few 1/4 yards....so I would have all the shades for the Tetris quilt....which I would not start.....

Until today.... . . .

11 comments:

  1. Quilter's addiction I wonder if it more prevalent than a gambling addiction? At least you have something to keep you warm and beautiful to look at once you complete one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True...and quilters don't go out and end it all after blowing their bank accounts on batiks. ;)

      Delete
    2. I just had a vision of quilters in visors huddled around a cutting board table in a seedy little back room of a quilt shop. Fortified with chocolate and coffee, they clutch shop hop booklets and JoAnn's discount fliers. "I'll see your FQ and rotary cutter and raise you a layer cake and companion angle ruler."

      Delete
    3. I was taking a sip of hot tea as I read your comment--serious mistake! Thanks for a much needed laugh!

      Delete
    4. Uh, not that I'd know anything about poker or anything...

      Delete
  2. Both are very nice, as for addiction no your just helping the economy lol
    Hugs Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, Janice--I'm a very patriotic person. Seriously! This could be my version of a victory garden.

      Delete
    2. LoL... Joana, I thought you already had a pot...eerrrrr, Victory... garden!!! :o) hehehehehe.....

      Delete
    3. Oh, yes, that slip of the tongue made such a good impression on our new neighbors when we moved here....and I still have a sneaking suspicion that my dear husband was trying to be funny. The wide-eyed look of bewildered innocence gave him away. ;)

      Delete
    4. I notice you have an Ulmer quilt frame. I love mine..best quilting investment I ever made!

      Delete
    5. It is a great frame--it's so easy to use, and I can put it in the back seat of my car to take it to guild sew days. I also have a Grace Z44, but I only use it for basting larger quilts. Do you quilt in your frame? That's something I have attempted, much less conquered--I quilt in a Q-snap.

      Delete