Monday, March 26, 2012

Quite a Week

It has been quite a week--such a busy, exciting week that finishing a quilt pales by comparison.  How often does that happen?  Yesterday was our Katie's junior recital--she is a piano performance/piano pedagogy major, and one of the requirements for her degree is a thirty minute recital during her junior year.  Her program included two movements of Ravel's Sonatine, two Chopin Mazurkas, and a Beethoven Sonata.  She gave an amazing performance--and she did it with so much joy!  I think there will be a video posted to Youtube at some point--if so, I'll let you know and post a link so that you can watch and listen. 

The other nice thing about yesterday was how many people in Katie's life were there to share the occasion--both her grandmothers, two of her aunts, a cousin, lots of her friends, her boyfriend and his whole family, her brother, lots of people from the church where she is pianist.   As it turned out, one of her dad's cousins was in Georgia on a visit, and she was there, never having met Katie until yesterday!  I wish Gary could have made the trip--he's counting on it for next year.


That finished quilt?  Here's a picture of the whole quilt--wish I had pictures of yesterday to post---will do when I get them.  But here's the Double Irish Chain, all done.  (And I'm hard at work on the whole cloth quilt and the Tetris quilt.) 

4 comments:

  1. So happy for Katie and for all of her family who were blessed to be a part of the audience. (Your report made me a little weepy with joy for her. I'd love seeing the video if it becomes available.) It sounds like she has gained so much confidence. Isn't it a joy to see and to hear her do that one special thing the Lord has created her to do well? (Not that there's ONLY one thing, but you know what I mean.) And I love sharing in the joy of seeing the results of the thing that He's created you to do well - quilt! :D
    Rejoicing with you all the way from Nebraska.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know what you mean, Jan--and I'm so glad to have your friendship. I feel the same as I hear about what is going on in your children's lives. It was a joy, and the best part was seeing her joy in the performance.

      Delete
  2. I share in your joy. I know how proud you are of Katie and of your son, too. Isn't it wonderful. I went to a funeral last week for a 20 year old who killed himself. He was a wonderful artist but I guess he had so many demons that he couldn't see that things would get better. It's so good to hear about other young people who are accomplishing so much with their lives. I'm glad your quilt is done. That's an accomplishment in itself. Beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Janette--what a heartbreaking situation. I'm so very sorry. It's true that so many young people think that the way things are now is the way things always will be, and that can lead to despair. I'm glad I could share something good and encouraging.

      Delete