Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Birds and Quilt Blocks

I have been having fun this week making the blocks for a new quilt.  Over Christmas, Katie's boyfriend asked if I could make him a Tetris quilt, sending me on a hunt for a pattern.  I found one by QuilterGeek, a very clever young woman who has simplified her first design for the quilt and has shared it on her blog.  Each block uses three graduated shades in a quarter square block.  The surprise for me has been how beautifully the colors pulled together, even though I thought some were not going to work.  I'm excited because Gary helped me put up my Fons & Porter design wall today--it only took a few minutes, using a level to get it straight and push pins to hang it.  Sure beats laying out all those blocks on the floor!

At the same time--literally--I've been chasing away grackles that found my bird feeders.  They not only devour all the bird feed like a hoard of locusts, but they scare away the finches, chickadees, titmouse, and cardinals.  I searched a bunch of sites for suggestions, and finally decided to try switching out the bird feed for something they don't like.  Now the feeders hold black-oil sunflower seeds and nyger.  The grackles came back for a little while this afternoon and pecked at the feeders a bit, then gave up and started scarfing up what had fallen to the ground earlier.  I'm hoping they'll move on to greener pastures--or other feeding places!

One last thing--the Double Irish Chain is almost done!  Just 3 1/2 more blocks and then the binding.....can't wait for that moment when I get to cut off the extra batting and backing and get that first glimpse of what the quilt is really going to look like!

Blessings!

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, the Tetris quilt looks AWESOME, I'm so excited!!! Way to go! :-D

    - Julie (QuilterGeek)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you came and looked at it! You did such a great job coming up with the pattern--I just zoomed along making the blocks!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely quilt well done
    Hugs Janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt looks great! I don't know anything about birds and had never heard of grackles. Mom does say she doesn't like starlings or cedar waxwings for the same reason you mentioned about the grackles. Looking forward to seeing the Irish Chain quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost done with it--I keep getting distracted by other ongoing projects--and the inexplicable fact that the men at my house want to eat at regular intervals. What's with that? And the one thing I've been playing around with cooking doesn't look like a whole meal to them!

    ReplyDelete