Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Still Hand Quilting? Absolutely!

I heard a lady on a quilting podcast the other day refer to people who are "still hand quilting," and I got tickled.  We've had indoor plumbing for nigh on to 30 years, but Ethel and Herb down the road are still using the old outhouse.....Sometimes I envy my friends who produce so many quilts, but I also feel a little sorry for them since they are missing the best part of quilting.  I love rocking the needle through the layers of the quilt sandwich, drawing the thread through, and watching the design grow under my hands.  I'm working on a scrappy Double Irish Chain right now, much more slowly than I would like, but it's going to be beautiful.  My piecing is far from perfect, and I don't get 20 stitches to the inch, but it's still going to be beautiful.  I love this one because there are scraps from just about every quilt I've ever made, from clothes I sewed for myself and my kids.  There are scraps from a Quilt Til You Drop all night quilting I went to when I lived in Alaska, where we exchanged 2 1/2 inch strips we called "worms" then, and there are lots of other scraps I've exchanged with others through the years.  Even the white muslin is scrappy--I used leftovers from other projects--I tried to use all the same kind of muslin, but there are variations in it.  Within my hoop yesterday, there was a teapot, a snowman, an airplane, two dogs, an apple, a pear, a basket of spools, and assorted flowers, spots, and other splashes of color.  As I hand quilt, slowly I'll admit, I have been reliving so many good memories--just because I'm taking my time.

13 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you. Oh I might learn to machine quilt some day but then I also might learn to machine quilt on my treadle sewing machine as well. Call my old fashioned but it is what I love and I can tell you do too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm pretty used to that reaction--it's the same one I got for using cloth diapers, for grinding wheat and making bread, for sewing clothes. Now my friends' daughters are asking for help making diapers,Project Runway is a hit, and specialty shops sell canning jars for $5 a piece! I like being old fashioned!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joana... thanks for your message on QWU... I don't use that site much anymore; I switched to Blogspot at the end of last summer. :o) Check out my little quilty blog~ http://lil-miss-v.blogspot.com/ Can't wait to see your postings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire all who hand quilt. It is not where my talent lies, which is okay. I'm so glad you are blogging and will be adding you to my list of those I follow. You are such an amazing woman and I am so privileged to have you as a great online friend. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BJ--you make the most beautiful quilts. I love seeing the ones you make for the Art Quilt group. Isn't it a blessing that each of us can find so much joy and satisfaction in our own unique way when we are making quilts?

      Delete
  5. If your able to hand quilt then it great, myself I have to use a machine as hands won't allow me to hand quilt
    If you look at old quilts it hard to believe that they were hand quilted & I guess the same today it certainly a talent which you have
    Hugs Janice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janice--I'm so glad that there are options for all of us to enjoy with our quilting. But I think I remember that you knit--and that's beyond my ability (and I've tried, believe me!).

      Delete
  6. Joana...love that you are blogging! I am learning to hand quilt and I love the time I spend doing it. I use my hand quilting time as a prayer time. I am far from perfect at it, but that is the fun...the learning! I have signed up to be a follower! You are such a special lady and I am so happy to have made a new friend! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennie--it's a great assistance to praying isn't it? Just one more blessing I've found with my quilting.

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad that you started this. You make such beautiful quilts and are such an inspiration. I'll definitely follow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Joana,
    So glad you took the step to start a blog. I too love to blog, it is a great way to express alittle of myself and about a few of my favorite things:family, quilting, and gardening and my dog for the most part. I'm sure you will figure out the technical stuff, it is just a matter of trying and if all else fails just google it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Google! I usually have my little netbook beside me so that I can look up anything that comes to mind---my husband likes it because it's not cheating if *I* look up the crossword clue for him! Thank you, Carla!

      Delete