Monday, February 27, 2012

Quilt Guild Day! Birthday! and Lasagna too!

The fourth Monday of each month is my favorite day of the month--with the possible exception of payday.  It's the day that the Happy Quilters of Laurens County have their monthly meeting, and I am so incredibly blessed to be a part of this group.  The women are so welcoming and kind, and when I moved here a couple of years ago, I felt at home right away.  Well, you can tell from our name, can't you?    We aren't a fancy guild, I suppose--we don't have a waiting list for members, as I've heard some guilds do.  We have some very fine quilters, but probably the folks at Houston or Paducah don't need to lose too much sleep (although we are all getting better and better with each quilt!).  We meet, we talk and laugh and pray and show our quilts to each other.  Then we pray again.  And then we eat.  And then we have a program and get to talk about quilts some more.  Nothing much to get excited about, I suppose---unless you are a quilter.




Tonight, I don't have a quilt to show.  I've sort of missed my self-imposed deadline on the Double Irish Chain.  But I expect I'll be forgiven--I'm bringing lasagna--lots and lots of lasagna.  You should see my kitchen!  It's a disaster!  But I took a break from cleaning up to come say hello.  If you're in the neighborhood, you should come join us--I promise we'll have enough!





Just for pretty--I enjoyed the amaryllis I was given for Christmas so much that Benjamin ordered a couple of more for me--this one is called Appleblossom.  It had five blooms at once and is about to bloom again!  Can't wait to see what the other one looks like!

Another reason this particular fourth Monday is special---it's my son's birthday today.  He is such a blessing from God, just as he has been since the day he was born, twenty-four years ago today!

6 comments:

  1. Doesn't matter how big or small your group is, as long as you enjoy it and it suits your needs/desires! I belong to a large guild and then a smaller group of about ten. The large guild (100+) meets one evening a month and we do a lot of workshops and charity stuff, a show every other year, show and tell and there's a lot of sharing going on. Through this group I was asked to join a much smaller group that meets during the day once a month; each month we rotate whose house it will be held at and the hostess provides a simple lunch and dessert. This group knows each other on a much more personal level, we share our joys and sorrows with one another, and usually work on our own individual projects while we chat. I love both groups for different reasons, but the ladies are all wonderful! Trudy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a perfect mix to me--we have talked some about bringing in speakers or teachers to do workshops, but we are not really big enough to do it on our own. However, the Georgia Quilt Council brings in nationally known teachers who then teach all over the state--I'm hoping we can tie into that.

      Delete
  2. Can't beat fellowship, friends & quilting. Oh, and food! How could I forget food? Sounds like fun.
    Give a birthday hug to your favorite 24 year old for me. If that thought creeps him out a little bit, since we've never actually met in person, just give him my warmest birthday regards. ;D My kids' birthdays always make me a little nostalgic. I love the young adults they've become, but where did those baby and toddler years go?
    Hope it's been a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The birthdays go far too fast, don't they? We celebrated a day early because it was his long day, but there was still birthday pie last night and again today.

      Delete
  3. How fun! Enjoy your guild gathering; I love guild meeting nights and my Stitcher's Etc. group nights!! And happy birthday to your son! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Denise--and I'll pass along the birthday wishes. Guild night turned out to be a little more interesting than usual!

      Delete